2013年6月1日土曜日

2013年6月1日土曜日 -

Ulysses - Everyday Japan



Growing up in the United States, the thing that attracted me most to Japan was its unique pop culture. In high school and college, I lived and breathed Japanese pop music, anime and video games. Coming to Japan, my first trip to Denden Town in Osaka, in a way, felt like a kind of homecoming.

After living in Japan for many years though, my fascination with Japanese pop culture has diminished somewhat. These days, I find myself more appreciative of the quieter, more everyday pleasures of living in Japan. For example, I’ll never take for granted being able to walk the few blocks to my local convenience store in the dead of night for a quick snack, to pay utilities, use the ATM, or buy plane tickets (!) without fear for my own personal safety.

The other day, as well, while taking a much needed afternoon nap, I was awakened by ringing bells and chanting coming from outside my apartment window. Curious, I stumbled to the window and peeked through the curtains. It was a procession of people, kids and adults, wearing special costumes and pulling along a float from the local shrine. A few of people in the procession spotted me peeking out and waved. This happens a few times a year in my neighborhood and it charms me every time. Even in a neighborhood in a city the size of Osaka, and especially as an American living in Japan these kinds of small, everyday occurrences (as well as places like Denden Town) make me feel at home.

attracted = 惹きつけた
lived and breathed = 熱中していた
homecoming = 帰省
diminished = 減少した
appreciative = 良さがわかる
everyday pleasures  = 日常生活の中の楽しみ
take for granted = 当たり前だと思う
blocks = 街区の一辺の距離/ブロック
convenience store = コンビニ
dead of night = 真夜中
snack = 軽食
utilities =  電気・ガス代など
much needed = 本当に必要な
awakened = 起こされた
chanting = 何かを繰り返して言うこと
curious = 好奇心がわいて
stumbled = よろよろしながら近づく
peeked = 覗いた
procession = 行列
float = お神輿
shrine = 神社
spotted me = 私に気付いた
charms =  魅力的である
everyday occurrences = 日常の出来事