2013年6月21日金曜日

2013年6月21日金曜日 -

Isaias - Mountain Hiking



When I first arrived in Japan, the thing that excited me the most was the mountains. You see, I come from south Texas, where it is very flat. So, having a mountain just behind my house was very exciting. For the first few days after arriving, every time I stepped outside my house, I would pause for a few brief moments and admire the mountain. A day or so later, I decided to explore the mountain. Its name is Mount Ikoma.

Soon after setting out, I found a small trail extending into the mountain. I decided to follow it and see where it would take me. The trail was a little slippery from the rain a day before. So I walked very carefully. I made sure that I didn't lose my footing and fall down.



The trees towered above creating a perfect canopy which protected me from the heat of the day. Walking along, I was surprised to find a small shrine in the middle of the forest. Hiking on the mountain I saw many beautiful sights. Mountain springs and creeks moved me. The flowers and plants opened my eyes to the beauty of nature in Japan. On the way home I found a large trail ending at a small waterfall.




At several points along the way, the trail split to the right and to the left. I quickly lost my way back. Luckily, I was carrying my GPS to help find the way. I returned home from my adventure hungry and tired, but happy that whenever I want to, I can take a trip into the mountains of Japan.

first arrived = 最初に来た
excited me = 興奮した
flat = 平坦な
stepped outside = 外に踏み出す
pause = 立ち止まる
brief = 短い
admire = 敬服する
explore = 探検する
setting out = 出発
trail = 小道
slippery = 滑りやすい
lose my footing = 踏み外す
fall down = 転ぶ
towered above = 上にそびえる
canopy = 天蓋
mountain springs = 山の湧き水
moved me = 感動させられた
opened my eyes = 目を丸くした
split = 分かれる
lost my way = 道に迷った
luckily = 幸い
find the way = 道を見つける
adventure = 冒険
tired = 疲れた
whenever = ~する時はいつも