2013年5月24日金曜日

2013年5月24日金曜日 -

Chris - My Interest in Japan


    Chris and his wife in New Zealand   
My interest in Japan began at a New Zealand primary school, where I was taught by a man who had lived in Kyoto and Yokohama for 2 years.
My teacher introduced us to the Japanese language, religions and culture in social studies classes. I vividly remember as a 10- year-old, learning to count from 1 to 10 in Japanese and I can still recall those numbers now many years later!
My teacher also taught us PE as well as social studies. In PE classes we were taught Judo that my teacher had studied extensively as an exchange student at Doshisha University, in Kyoto.
I remember the side-throw and the break-falls which I mastered pretty quickly, albeit with a few bruises! I became quite intrigued by Japan from that time onwards and decided eventually to check out the Japanese scene for myself.
So after graduating with a History degree, I decided to make the big trip to Japan and try my hand at teaching English.
Since arriving in the 1990s, I have taught many different levels, and met countless people from all parts of Japan.
This has been on the whole a great experience, which I have never regretted. I have gotten to know people from all walks of life and made many friends. It has been pretty rewarding to live in Japan and experience first hand the challenges of a new diet, language and culture. I feel I have grown alot through this experience and having had my horizons widened, have become a stronger person. Thank you.

primary school = 小学校
introduce = 紹介する
religions = 宗教
social studies = 社会科
vividly = 鮮明に
recall = 思い出す
PE (physical education) = 体育
extensively =長い間
mastere = 習得する
pretty quickly = かなり早く、すぐに
albeit = にも関わらず
bruise = あざ
intrigued = 興味を抱く
from that time onwards = そしてそれ以降
try my hand = やってみる
countless = 数え切れないほどの
on the whole =  全体的にみて
regret = 後悔する/悔いが残る
all walks of life =  さまざまな立場/職業の人
first hand = じかに
having had my horizons widened = 視野が広がった