2016年10月21日金曜日

2016年10月21日金曜日 -

Anna: Halloween season and autumn in America


In Japan, hundreds of tourists go to Kyoto to see the red leaves. In America the leaves also turn red, but one of the biggest and most exciting autumn activities is definitely Halloween. Recently it's become much more popular in Japan as well. Some of my favorite childhood memories of autumn are about Halloween.

When I was in elementary school, Halloween was one of the most fun times of the year. That day in class, we would have a party and everyone could wear their costumes to school. There were usually a lot of games and snacks, and regular lessons weren't held that day. Until I was about eleven or twelve years old, my school had a Halloween parade where all the students in the school would walk around outside so we could see each others' costumes. These days, many schools no longer allow Halloween costumes in class, but being able to have fun with my friends and not study was always something I looked forward to.

Halloween season and autumn in America is also the time for horror movies and haunted houses, which are usually popular in Japan in the summertime. Many new horror movies are released in theaters in America in October, and many Halloween parties for teenagers or adults involve watching them. While children's Halloween parties and costumes are usually cute, older kids and adults often like scarier costumes or activities. I not a big fan though!

Anders Ruff Custom Designs
Now I've lived in Japan for three years. When I first arrived Halloween wasn't really popular here in Osaka. Even though only three years have passed, however, Halloween is getting to be bigger and bigger and I see much more advertising for it once October arrives every year. Last year I even saw it on the news! I've gone to a Halloween event every year that I've lived here, and I'm really looking forward to this year's events as well. I just have to decide what I want my costume to be!

hundreds of:たくさんの
red leaves:紅葉           
turn red:赤くなる
definitely:間違いなく
elementary school:小学校
costumes:衣装
walk around:歩き回る
no longer:もう~でなくなっている
looked forward to:楽しみにしていた
haunted houses:お化け屋敷
released:公開される
involve:夢中になる
scarier costumes:恐目の衣装
advertising:広告
even:~でさえ