2016年5月27日金曜日

2016年5月27日金曜日 -

Paul: Five weeks in Tokyo

Hello Blog readers. I hope you're doing well.
 
 I recently returned to Osaka from teaching in branch schools in Tokyo. It had been three years since my last branch adventure in Sapporo and I was ready to see the world again. It was a refreshing experience to be released from the confines of the computer monitors where I usually work


Having visited Tokyo on numerous occasions before, there wasn't much in the way of sightseeing that I wanted to do. So instead, I caught up with old friends who now live in Tokyo and made some new friends playing darts on my days off.

One of the highlights was watching a friend's improv comedy show Pirates of Tokyo Bay. For those who have never seen improv, it's a kind of comedy where the performers take suggestions from the audience and then use those suggestions to perform short sketches. Ten years ago I watched his group's first show, Pirates of the Dotonbori, in Osaka. After relocating to Tokyo, he set up a new group and they perform bilingual (English and Japanese) shows once a month.
 
Another interesting experience was the visit of TV cameras to one of the branches I was working in. Having a cameraman filming is a lot different from the cameras at the MM center that I'm used to!

Finally, thank you to all of the students who I got to meet face to face. And a big thank you to the Nova staff and instructors who helped make my Tokyo experience a positive one.

Bye for now, Paul.


ready to:心の準備ができている
refreshing:リフレッシュできる
released from:解放される
confines:境界
numerous:数多くの
in the way of:~に関しては
instead:その代わりに
days off:オフの日
improv comedy:即興のお笑いライブ
take suggestions from:お題をもらう
bilingual:2カ国語で
I'm used to:慣れている