2013年3月22日金曜日

2013年3月22日金曜日 -

Michael - St. Patrick's Day in Osaka


I’ve met a lot of new and interesting people in Japan. When meeting someone for the first time I’m often asked the same 3 questions.

Where do you come from?
Why did you come to Japan?
What do you think about Japan?

I always try to give good answers but most of the time; I fall short on the first question. "Where are you from?"
People often say "Oh Ireland, I hear you have a lot of hot springs in Ireland", or "Oh, is it very snowy in Ireland?"

I always find this quite funny as I think they are confusing Ireland with Iceland!



It seems to me that only a few people in Japan know about my home country and its traditions. For my first few months in Japan I was pretty sure I wouldn’t find anything Irish in Japan. It appears I was wrong…

After searching around I’ve managed to find a number of Irish bars in Osaka. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t go to Irish bars often because I feel it would be ignorant of me to come to all the way to Japan and not sample the Japanese style of night entertainment. However, I do enjoy a Guinness every now and then!

One of the most important days of the year for all Irish people is St. Patrick's day!
On St Patrick's day Irish people everywhere celebrate being Irish, they are supposed to be generous, happy, and patriotic. People often celebrate St Patrick’s Day at the pub.

This year my friends and I decided try and find the best pint of Guinness in Osaka! So we went Irish bar hopping. After two or three pubs we finally found a decent pint of Guinness.

After our pints of Guinness we were in need of some food so we decided to go to a Japanese Izakaya. We ate and drank and talked for hours! I think this year was one of the most special St. Patrick's days I ever had. Thank you Japan!

fall short :つまずく
hot springs:温泉
It seems to me  :私には~のように思える。
traditions:伝統
pretty sure  :かなり確信がある
It appears :~であることがわかる
managed  :どうにかして~する
don’t get me wrong:誤解しないでください
ignorant :無知だ
all the way :はるばる
Guinness:ギネス(アイルランドGuinness社のスタウトビール)
every now and then:時々
St. Patrick's day :聖パトリックの日(アイルランドの守護聖人を祝う祭日)
generous:気前よく
patriotic:愛国的
bar hopping:はしご酒
decent:ちゃんとした