2013年3月1日金曜日

2013年3月1日金曜日 -

David - IAIDO



This weekend I went to an IAIDO workshop (koushukai). I have been doing IAIDO for about five years and will be grading for my 2nd dan in March. IAIDO is a Japanese martial art. Practitioners of iaido perform solo katas using a metal Japanese sword. Beginners use a special dull sword called an iaito. Advanced practitioners use real sharpened swords (shinken). An iaido kata has four basic parts. Drawing the sword (battou), cutting with the sword, flicking the blood from the blade, and finally re-sheathing the sword (noto).
Iaido is not very popular in Japan and even less popular in Canada. Being able to train with so many high level iaido sensei is an amazing opportunity. It can be difficult, since my Japanese level is pretty basic and doesn't include many of the words used to explain how to use a sword. But, by watching and listening carefully I can pick up a few things being taught. We met in a large gymnasium near Shinosaka Station. There was no heating in the gym, so many of the attendees were quite cold. Since I'm from Canada, the cold didn't effect me too much but it did make my legs quite stiff. We were divided into groups based on our ranks, each group being led by a different sensei. The sensei would first demonstrate a kata then we would do it together. After that, the sensei would give advice about common problems they saw. It made me nervous to have so many people watching me, but it felt great when they would look at me, nod and say “good”. The workshop ended with a demonstration (enbu), with each group going up one at a time to perform for the other attendees. I had been struggling with the cold in my knees and the sticky floor all day, but was very happy with how I did at the end.
It was a long hard day of training, but I felt that I had done well. Being able to do martial arts is one of the main reasons I came to Japan. It can be confusing at times but really helps you become a better person!
workshop = 講習会
grading = 級づけ
martial art = 武術
practitioners = 実践している人
solo = 単独で
dull sword = 居合の稽古用の切れ味の悪い刀(居合刀)
drawing the sword = 刀を引き抜く
flicking = さっと払い落とす
re-sheathing  = さやに戻す
opportunity = 機会
pick up  = 聞き取る
gymnasium = 体育館
heating = 暖房
gym = ジム
attendees = 出席者
stiff = 硬直する
ranks = 階級
being led = 主導される
demonstrate = 実演する
common = よくある
nervous = そわそわする
felt  = 感じた
nod = うなずく
struggling = 悪戦苦闘する
sticky = べたべたひっつく
confusing = 混乱させる