2018年7月27日金曜日

2018年7月27日金曜日 -

Albert: Yakiniku


One of my favorite things to eat in Japan is yakiniku, and I usually have it at least once a week. Being a fairly big eater, I tend to prefer all-you-can-eat (AYCE) places. This was true even when I was back in the States, though most of the places I frequented in LA were of the Korean variety. Nevertheless, here are a few differences that I noticed, generally speaking of course.

First and foremost, as is typically the case, the portion sizes are smaller in Japan. However, they remain consistent throughout the service. In LA, serving sizes of plates start off bigger, but tend to gradually get smaller as you put in more and more orders. This seems to be a strategy to reduce wasted meat. In terms of the menu, I feel places in LA offer more variety in the cuts of meat especially as you move up in price range, whereas Japan offers more in way of different flavors and side items.

Strangely enough, while free refills (drink bars) are more common in the US restaurant dining experience overall, Korean barbeque restaurants in LA tend not to include the option on their menu, especially in cheaper places. I


n contrast to this, all Japanese AYCE restaurants I've been to so far not only allow you to have unlimited soft drinks, but alcohol as well. 

The thing that surprised me most about AYCE yakiniku places here though, is that you can go to them alone. Before coming to Japan, all of these kinds of restaurants that I had been to in the US required groups of at least two people.

Being a fairly big eater:かなり大食いなので
all-you-can-eat:食べ放題
Nevertheless:そうは言っても
First and foremost:いの一番に
Consistent:首尾一貫した
start off:始まる
In terms of:~に関して
Whereas:ところが
Strangely enough:不思議なことに
tend:傾向がある
required:必須である