2018年2月9日金曜日

2018年2月9日金曜日 -

Anna: Chocolate

 

For me, February is one of the best months to be into making sweets because of Valentine's Day. Stores all over the country are advertising the best or most beautiful chocolate, and the designs and flavors are different every year. I've only been interested in sweets for a few years, but I always like looking at the special offers in February to get some inspiration. I'm not very good at making small sweets or making my own chocolate, so I'm always impressed by the quality of the chocolate I see in the store windows or even at the convenience store!
      Another point I like about chocolate in Japan is that there are so many different flavors compared to the Valentine's Day (or even regular) chocolate I remember seeing in America. In addition to caramel, nougat, cookies or mint, which are also popular in the US, Japanese chocolate is often combined with fruits or matcha, which can make it more sour or bitter instead of just sweet. Probably the most extreme example of this is all the different flavors of KitKats that can be found all over Japan, which are now so popular across the world that many people collect them.
      Apart from just the taste, though, what I think is really amazing about special chocolate in Japan is the design. There are so many beautiful handmade chocolates that are unique, even the packaging, so in the end they're almost like art and not only sweets for you to enjoy. Sometimes I even feel a little guilty about eating them, since they look so nice. But sharing something so beautiful with someone important to you is worth it!

be intobe interested in; like:~にハマる
compared to:~に比べ
combined with:~と組み合わされて
apart from:~の他に
handmademade by hand, not with a machine:手作りの
guiltyfeeling like you did something bad or wrong:罪悪感

worth ithas value; a good reason to do something:価値がある