2015年11月6日金曜日

2015年11月6日金曜日 -

Shawn: The best kept secret in Kyoto: Zenrinji Temple (Eikando)

Of all the cities in Japan, Kyoto is easily the most iconic. It is one of the most historical cities in the world, full of all sorts of temples, castles and wonderful sights. Famous places such as Ginkakuji or Kinkakuji are visited by thousands of people every year and well known by nearly all Japanese people; but have you heard of Zenrinji temple?

            I had the chance to go to Kyoto this summer and after doing some research on interesting tourist spots, I discovered many people praising Zenrinji Temple (A.K.A. Eikando) as one of the best places to visit in all of Japan. I asked some Japanese friends about it but no one had ever even heard of Zenrinji temple. I decided to make Zenrinji Temple the main attraction of my trip to Kyoto and I am very glad that I did.
              

Right away I knew I would enjoy Zenrinji Temple more than the other temples I had been to before due to there being absolutely no line to get into the temple. It seems that very few people know about it and as such it was not crowded at all. At the temple I was treated to all sorts of wonderful sights such as a lovely Japanese garden and some fascinating statues of the Amida Buddah with his head turned sideways. Legend has it that the statue came to life, turned its head, and spoke to the priest of the temple.
The best part for me was the traditional peaceful atmosphere. The temple is far enough away from the road for it to be very quiet and peaceful. Cameras are not allowed throughout much of the temple so everyone can just focus on enjoying what is in front of them instead of trying to take a perfect picture. I highly recommend this temple to everyone visiting Kyoto. I had a great experience there and I hope you do, too! There may be a few more people there in certain seasons, though...

best kept secret:穴場
iconic:象徴的な
A.K.A. :(also known as)別名
praising:賞賛する
due to:というのは
fascinating:魅力的な
legend has it:~という言い伝えがある

focus on:~に集中する