2015年5月15日金曜日

2015年5月15日金曜日 -

Jason:Spring’s not for everyone




Recently, many of my family and friends have been posting on Facebook about the coming of spring, and how they cannot wait for it to begin. The same is true with my friends here in Osaka as well. Everyone seems to love the idea of warmer temperatures and blooming flowers, but I am not one of them.


My dislike of spring goes back to when I was a kid. I had really bad allergies when I was in elementary school, and on multiple occasions I would have to go home early because of them. I also had allergy-related asthma, a shortness of breath caused by the pollen in the air, so I could not play outside with my friends during recess. Trust me, there is nothing sadder than sitting in the classroom with the teacher helping her grade papers while watching the other students having fun outside.
 
Another problem I have with spring is that I easily get sunburns being outside too long. Growing up, my family spent a fortune on sunblock for me to put on anytime I went outside. I would have to constantly have it reapplied throughout the day, otherwise my fair skin would turn a very bright shade of red.

Nowadays, it is not so bad getting through spring as an adult. I have out-grown my allergies for the most part, and sunscreen is a lot more powerful today than it was thirty years ago. Now, when spring rolls around it usually acts as the harbinger of summer, and with that a rather hefty electrical bill trying to keep my apartment cool.



dislike:嫌い
allergies:アレルギー
multiple:複数の
asthma:喘息
pollen:花粉
recess:休憩時間
spent a fortune:大枚をはたいた
sunburns日焼け
reapplied:塗りなおす
fair:色白の
out-grown:成長期が終わる
sunscreen日焼け止め
harbinger:前触れ
hefty:多額