2015年4月3日金曜日

2015年4月3日金曜日 -

Hugh : Sumo


I have never really been into watching physical sports such as boxing, judo, and karate, but one year I decided to give sumo wrestling a go. I went to Osaka Gymnasium and I was soon hooked on the sport.

One of the first things that struck me was that the wrestlers were so tall. Of course, I knew that they would be big, but I never imagined that they would also be very tall. Walking around the gymnasium, another thing that struck me was their smell... like baby powder.

In the past, I have watched boxing matches and MMA competitions and I thought the sumo bouts would be similar to these. However, they were entirely different. The sumo bouts showed the wrestlers to be graceful and they didn't use their strength excessively.

Since that first time, I have been going to competitions in Osaka every March and I always make a day of it. The competitions never fail to blow my mind and the audience adds to the experience with their energy and enthusiasm.

If you have never been before, I would strongly recommend it. Try to go during the last few days of the competition.



been into ~に夢中になる
hooked on ~中毒になる
struck me:びっくりさせられる
like:例えば
MMA = Mixed Martial Arts:総合格闘技
bout戦い
make a day of it :そうして一日を過ごします
blow my mind :圧倒する