2013年2月15日金曜日

2013年2月15日金曜日 -

Ian - Enoshima


Whenever Japanese people ask me “Ian, what's your favorite place in Japan?” I always answer “Enoshima.”

The first time I went to Enoshima was in 2011, a few months after I moved to Tokyo. I went with a friend from work. I was really excited because it was the first time to leave Tokyo and go sightseeing in Japan. First, we took the JR line to Kamakura and had a look at the temples and the Daibutsu. It was fun, but honestly I'm not that interested in old buildings or statues. If there was a Playstation 3 inside then maybe I would enjoy it more.

 
Anyway, we then went back to the station and got on the Enoden line to Enoshima. From the Enoden train you can see the beautiful ocean view. It looked like a painting. Soon we arrived at the station and walked across the bridge to and started climbing Enoshima. There's so much cool stuff to see and do. There was a show with monkeys performing. I love monkeys so I was super excited when I saw that. I wanted to give them a high five but the trainer said no. I also ate some delicious blueberry ice cream. Finally, we climbed to the peak and went to the top of the observation tower. From there I could see Mt Fuji in the distance. That was my favorite day in Japan.

 
Six months later, my parents came to visit me in Japan. When they asked me where we should go I immediately said “Enoshima!” We took the Enoden, watched the monkey show, ate the blueberry ice cream and looked at Mt Fuji from the tower. It was even more fun the second time!
 
but honestly... = 正直なところ
statues = 仏像
anyway... = とにかく
ocean view = 海の景色
cool stuff = かっこいいもの
high five = ハイタッチ
peak = 頂上
observation tower = 展望台
in the distance = 遠方に