2019年2月22日金曜日

2019年2月22日金曜日 -

Johnathan: York




Hi. How's it going everybody? My name's John. I come from a humble little town called York, PA (not to be confused with New York, four hours due north). To be completely honest, the town is far from glamorous – it's seen better days for sure – but it has some pretty awesome little features.

York was once the first capital of the United States when the nation was still very young. We're home to the York Fair, which is America's oldest fair that was first held in 1765 and is still held annually, and for chocolate lovers, they produce York Peppermint Patty. York is also very close to Hershey, Pennsylvania, known the world over for its chocolate and amusement park. But though that small familiar town was my home, I always yearned for something more fulfilling; a better goal in life to pursue that home couldn't give me per se.

I had my first real taste of Japan when I moved to Ikebukuro, and went to a college in Tokyo called Sophia University. I picked up life experience, met diverse people I never would have met had I stayed in York (like Japanese people, for example!) and found out that the world is a whole lot bigger than what a computer or books can tell you. In taking the gamble to leave home, I realized that I could make a dream come true by giving myself an opportunity to see more of the world and live my best life. I found that I really clicked with my Japanese and international peers and made many indelible memories. When I had to go back home to finish school, I'd already made my mind up that I would come back to Japan, but on more permanent terms rather than a five-month stint.
To be continued


humble:地味な
due north:真北
far from:~からはかけ離れた
features:特色
home to:~が生まれた場所
York Peppermint Patty:ミントフィリングにチョコレートをかけたお菓子
yearned for:恋焦がれる
per se:それ自体は
Diverse:多様な
clicked with:意気投合した
peers:仲間
indelible:忘れられない
made my mind up:心に決めた
stint:ケチケチした