2018年1月26日金曜日

2018年1月26日金曜日 -

Krystal: Learning as I go

I have been in Japan for a few months now and am quickly learning all kinds of new things. I am learning about foods that I have never tried before, the trains and navigating the train stations, as well as the best ways to purchase furniture for our new place.
       Students have been very helpful with teaching me about all of the types of foods I should try while I am living in Japan! My current favorites are ramen, vegetable sushi, sukiyaki, and BBQ pork. I have come to learn that many of these foods differ from prefecture to prefecture and that I should try each dish in different areas of the country! 
       Learning to navigate the trains and stations has been very challenging for me. I have missed my train, gotten on the wrong one, and gotten off of the train at the wrong station. As you can imagine, this has forced me to learn how to read the train station signs very quickly. I am very glad that I have the ability to use the trains instead of driving a car everywhere, but it is a very big change for me and I am still learning.
       Purchasing furniture when you do not have a car is difficult. It is hard to find people selling things in your area so that you do not have to walk very far when taking them back to your home. Also, purchasing larger items is difficult. We are lucky to know someone with a truck, but it is still challenging to arrange a time to use the truck, find our way to the location for pickup, and then to transport it back to our home. Because of these challenges, we have purchased many things online.
       While it has been challenging to learn new ways of accomplishing regular tasks, living in Japan has been very nice so far and we are looking forward to much warmer weather so we can venture further from our home when exploring the country.

navigating:移動する
furniture:家具
helpful:頼りになる
have come to:~するようになる
differ from prefecture to prefecture:都道府県によって違う
challenging:大変
missed:乗りそこなった
accomplishing:遂行する
so far:今のところ
venture:思い切って~に出かける

exploring:探検する