2013年7月26日金曜日

2013年7月26日金曜日 -

Spencer - Tigers Fan



One of my favorite activities in the summer is going to Koshien stadium and watching the Hanshin Tigers play. I have been in Japan for more than six years and I have gone to a game at least once a year. It's great because at the stadium the atmosphere is electric. Everybody is dressed up and having a great time as they cheer on the home team. You can really feel the camaraderie



Back home in America, the games are a bit more low key. You go to the stadium and eat hot dogs or drink beer while you relax and watch the game. It is far more casual than here in Japan. Everybody stays seated for most of the game. The only time people stand as a group is for the seventh inning stretch.




Now, I'm sure that most of you have heard about Hanshin and “the curse of the colonel” but for many years, I believed that I was jinxed as well. Every time I went to watch the Tigers play, they lost the game.  I went to nearly ten games over five years and never saw the Tigers win.  I was bummed out.

However, I am happy to say that this season things turned around. I watched Hanshin play Softbank and the Tigers won!  I couldn't believe my eyes. It was a great game and hopefully I'll see many more victories in the years to come. Look for me the next time you go to Koshien. I'll be wearing my “Murton” jersey and waving my “Kanemoto” towel. Go Tigers!

the atmosphere is electric 雰囲気が刺激的だ
dressed up 衣装に身を包む
cheer on 声援を送る
camaraderie 仲間意識
low key 控えめ
casual 気軽な
seventh inning stretch 七回裏の開始前に設けられる小休止の時間
curse 呪い
jinxed = 不運をもたらす
bummed out 落ち込ませる
things turned around 好転した
I couldn't believe my eyes 我が目を疑った
hopefully ~になるといいと思う
years to come この先何年も