2013年7月19日金曜日

2013年7月19日金曜日 -

Johnny - The Artist


I originally came to Japan on a traveling scholarship that I got from the university in which I was studying, The Royal College of Art. I went to Kyoto Art University and was given a studio for three months.

At the end of the three months I displayed the efforts of my labours in their gallery.




All of the people I came in contact with were so kind. I think that is why I ended up living here. Another reason I think is that I am free from the constraints of my own culture. What I mean by that is, I feel I can use whatever images I want without feeling any pressure because of their cultural associations. 



I am in the unique position of making my pictures in Japan and sending them all to Germany. Many people don't believe I'm in Japan. They think the gallery is just making stories up, as a sales pitch.

As I get older I enjoy the process of picture making more and more. I make hundreds of pictures and squirrel them away. Then I’ll come across them, sometimes years later. Only then do I realize what I was trying to do and understand what needs to be done to finish them.


scholarship = 奨学金
studio = アトリエ
displayed = 展示する
efforts of my labours = 努力の結晶
gallery = ギャラリー・画廊
came in contact with = 出会った
ended up = 結局
constraints = 制約
pressure = プレッシャー
cultural associations = 文化協会
unique = 変わった・めずらしい
making stories up = 話を作る
sales pitch = 宣伝・セールストーク
process = 過程
more and more = ますます
squirrel them away = 溜め込む
come across = 思い浮かぶ
realize = 気付く
needs to be done = する必要があること