2019年12月6日金曜日

2019年12月6日金曜日 -

Joshua- Swimming with killer whales


One of my favorite things to do when I'm home in New Zealand is to go spear fishing. Nothing beats being in the ocean on a beautiful Wellington day. Spear fishing can be done while scuba diving, or my favorite, while snorkeling. The aim is to swim down into the reef and shoot fish with your spear gun. A spear gun is pretty much just a spear, a piece of string and a giant rubber band that you release with a trigger.


I will never forget the day that I accidentally swam with orcas (also known as killer whales). I was spearfishing as usual but then I heard the horn of the boat and saw my father frantically gesturing at me to get out of the water. It was far too early to be time to leave but I made my way back to the boat. Once I was aboard, 

I could see why my father was so frantic: not fifty meters away there was a pod of killer whales.
The adults were teaching the young orcas how to catch stingrays and fling them into the air. It was breathtaking to watch these powerful and majestic creatures teach their young. However, it was equally terrifying knowing that if they had wanted to they could have just as easily flung me into the air. It was an amazing experience that I will never forget.










spear fishing:スピアフィッシング
beats:~に勝る
Wellington day:ウェリントンディ(ウェリントン地方の祝日)
aim:目的
reef:礁
string:ひも
trigger:引き金
accidentally:偶然に
orcas:シャチ
horn:警笛
frantically:半狂乱で
frantic:大慌て
a pod of whales:クジラの群れ
stingrays:アカエイ
fling:投げ飛ばす
breathtaking:あっと言わせる
majestic:威厳のある
terrifying:ぞっとするような