2019年12月13日金曜日

2019年12月13日金曜日 -

Jason's Archery Adventures - Continued


So, the last time I wrote a blog, I talked about going to Hamadera Park to practice archery. That was in April 2018, and a few months after that I bought a new carbon fiber recurve bow, one of the best on the market, but I only got to practice with it one time. It was way too hot to practice in summer, so I was going to take classes again in October 2018, but the Archery Practice Range was damaged by Typhoon Jebi in September last year, and I wasn't able to get time off until October this year to resume, so in total it's been about fifteen months or so since I was able to practice.

My first practice was back on October 5th, and I was just happy the arrows tended to fly in one particular direction! I got a couple of arrows in the yellow (the bullseye), but mostly the black and blue rings (the outer edge of the target). I did have a few bad shots, one hit the target next to the one I was aiming at, and one sailed over the target altogether.

My next few practices were much better. I met a coach named Yoshii, who gave me four tips to improve my performance: 1) keep my right elbow up to pull the string with my back and not my bicep, 2) anchor my ring finger on the corner of my mouth, 3) peer down the arrow with my right eye to see if the string is aligned with it, and 4) don't do a deep hook of the string with my tab, have the string resting on the tips of my fingers. Since then, I went on to shoot my best round ever, 50 out of a possible 60 points.

The real challenge now is to get 200 points shooting at 30 meters, and at the time of the writing, I have two weeks to do it. If I succeed, I'll have earned my proficiency badge and can practice on my days off. If I fail, I'll have to wait another nine months before I can take time off on Saturdays again.


archery:アーチェリー
carbon fiber :カーボン繊維の
recurve bow:競技で使用される弓
be damaged by:~によって被害を受ける
resume:再び始める
in total:全体で
arrow:矢
tend to~:~の傾向にある
particular:特定の
bullseye:中心部
aim:狙いをつける
tips:ちょっとしたテクニック
bicep:力こぶ
peer down:覗き込む
align:一直線にする
proficiency:熟練