2019年7月31日水曜日

2019年7月31日水曜日 -

Linnea – Santiago de Compostela


A few years ago I spent some time in a city in northern Spain called Santiago de Compostela, which is famous for the Cathedral of Santiago. Long ago, people traveled on foot from all over Europe to come to this church as a religious pilgrimage. Even now many tours participate in the pilgrimage, or the Camino (“the walk”).

I spent three months in Santiago working at a hotel in exchange for staying at the hotel for free. To be honest, the job wasn't that great but all in all it was a great experience. The food in that area is really delicious, especially the seafood. If I had to pick one favorite part, it would definitely be the food. I went back to Santiago a few months ago for a few days while I was traveling in Europe. I was pretty sick while I was there so I stayed in the hotel most of the day, but thankfully since I'd spent some time there already I could rest instead of going sightseeing. All I wanted to do was go out to restaurants and eat my favorite dishes.

Spain, like Japan, has regional dialects. The one spoken in Santiago has a lot of similarities to Portuguese since they're geographically close. Of course, everyone speaks standard Spanish as well, but even then they speak quickly and without enunciating. I had been studying Spanish for many years at that point, and I didn't think I would have any problems. I was wrong. For the first few weeks I spent my free time watching a Spanish drama without subtitles just to improve my listening comprehension. Incidentally, the same thing happened when I came to Japan.


Cathedral of Santiago:サンティアゴ大聖堂
religious: 宗教的な
pilgrimage: 巡礼
participate in: ~に参加する
regional : 地域の
dialects:方言
geographically:地理的に
standard :標準
enunciating:(はっきり)発音する
subtitles:字幕
comprehension:理解力
Incidentally:ちなみに