2018年11月16日金曜日

2018年11月16日金曜日 -

William M - Playing the Tour Guide in Japan




Since I've always been interested in living in Japan, my love of this country is something I have a hard time containing. So whenever I get the chance to convince a friend to come here to Osaka, I always have a set list of things I'd like to show them. These stem from my three most favorite things about Japan: anime/video games, Shinto, and food!

To satisfy my otaku streak, I always show my friends Nippombashi, nicknamed Denden Town. For my friends who don't know it, but who love anime, I describe it as a “mini-Akiba”. It's only a single street, but it's packed with a couple dozen stores catering to anime and video game geeks. Tiny stores – with aisles way too narrow for a chubby foreigner like myself – lined from wall to wall with anime figurines, plush dolls of famous video game characters, and various other little trinkets from the anime and video game industry are enough to keep me occupied for hours. I can spend an entire day on this single street, and only get halfway through, but if you're going to go to a single store there, the Animate is the best one. Several floors, conveniently divided into different sections, cater to multiple genres in a single building, and if you know what sort of thing you're looking for – a comic book, a figure, a poster – it's pretty easy to go to the appropriate section.
 
Most of my friends who want to visit Japan do so for the anime culture. However, those who are interested in more than just current pop culture will usually love being shown local temples or shrines. There are plenty of them in Osaka – Sumiyoshi Taisha is the latest one I've visited – but my favorite ones are in Kyoto, and it's only a simple train ride away. By far, Fushimi Inari is the one I've visited the most. It provides a huge array of statues and buildings to examine and compare, with multiple styles drawn from purely Shinto traditions, as well as Buddhist ones.  Street vendors and tourists clog the way from the Keihan station to the shrine itself, but I can't help but grab some grilled pork belly each time I'm there! My friends are always caught off guard as we make our way up the mountain, no matter how often I warn them of how difficult it is for those who aren't in shape. But getting to the top is a great achievement, and the views of Kyoto along the way are unparalleled!
 
Lastly, the thing I must introduce to people when they're here is the food, both Japanese and Osaka-specific. I always take my friends to my favorite restaurant, Torikizoku, and while these are all over the place in Japan, it's usually the first time they've experienced it. The same goes for Ichiran Ramen, with cheap, customizable ramen that can cater to anyone's tastes. But my favorite Osaka-style food to show them is kushikatsu. My favorite kushikatsu joint is near Umeda station, and while it's a literal maze trying to get from the subway to the restaurant, the confused wandering is always worth it. However, I find I need to watch my hapless friends like a hawk to make sure they don't dip their skewer twice!

There are only three things I don't like about Japan; natto, the summer heat, and takoyaki (and I live in Osaka! What a nightmare!). For everything else, it's easily accessible here in Osaka, and I can't think of a better city in Japan to be based in in order to share my passion for living here and – hopefully –infect some of my friends with that same love!

convince:説得する
stem:軸
streak:傾向
catering:調達する
geeks:オタク
chubby:ぽっちゃりした
plush dolls:ぬいぐるみ
trinkets:小さな装身具
By far:圧倒的に
array:ずらりと並んだもの
Street vendors:露天商
clog:(道を)詰まらせる
caught off guard:(予期せぬ出来事に)驚かされる
unparalleled:他では味わえない
customizable:カスタマイズできる
maze:迷路
hapless:哀れな
skewer:串
infect:影響を与える