2018年11月30日金曜日

2018年11月30日金曜日 -

Kyle: Himeji Castle


My parents were in town last week, from the 5th to the 12th. I was a little nervous before their visit - neither of them have done much traveling outside of the United States, and I was worried that they would find Osaka a bit overwhelming. Fortunately, my fears were completely unfounded; they both seemed to immensely enjoy their time in Japan.
              During the week that they were here, my parents and I split our time between Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, and Himeji. We briefly visited Kobe, but only for a quick meal to satisfy my father's near-obsessive need to eat Kobe beef "straight from the source". He liked everything he ate here - from famous foods like ramen and sushi to things uncommon in the US, like natto and mentaiko. My mother developed a healthy appetite for okonomiyaki - she's promised to make it for me the next time we see each other. They both loved onigiri, as well.
              Of course, any time not spent eating was consumed by sightseeing. We visited a variety of beautiful sites across four cities. The highlight of the week for the four of us, I think, was Himeji Castle. I had never been there before, so I appreciated the fact that my parents and I were able to visit it for the first time together. It was wonderful to see such a well-preserved, well-cared-for example of old Japanese architecture - and at such a great size! Walking from Himeji station to the castle was incredible by itself - a long, straight walk towards an immense castle, growing larger and larger with each step. Seeing the inside of the castle was my personal favorite part of the day. Such excellent craftsmanship. On a side note, a trip to Himeji gave us a great reason to take a bullet train (shinkansen), which I always love doing. My parents were very impressed as well, and came away bemoaning the absence of such a train in the United States. Even better, we ended up on a Hello Kitty-branded train, much to my father's delight.

overwhelming:圧倒される
unfounded:見当たらなかった
immensely:非常に
near-obsessive:執着にも似た
straight from the source:産地直送の
well-preserved:保存状態の良い
immense:広大な
bemoaning:嘆き悲しむ
Even better:更に良いことに