2016年7月8日金曜日

2016年7月8日金曜日 -

Tony: Time pieces

I stood staring at my watches. I wanted to select one that wouldn't irritate my wrist while I typed, but as I looked at the collection of thirty-odd watches I've amassed I was drawn into their stories. 

The square face Diesel with a brown leather strap that my wife bought me on 5th Avenue, New York City. She'd been studying there when the September 11th attacks happened and witnessed the panic and destruction first hand. After returning to Japan a few weeks later she hadn't had the heart to return, despite her love for the city, until we went back to share in New York together five years ago. That watch belongs to the new memories we built there. 

My treasured Seiko automatic dive watch: orange dial with luminescent hands and a chunky stainless steel bezel, case, and band. When my father saw it, he complimented it so profusely that I gave him the same watch for Christmas. That was seven years ago and he still wears it every day.

I could go on, but you get the point. I was stuck traipsing down memory lane when I should have been strapping on a watch and moving along with my morning. I'd resolved to make a choice when I heard my son's voice beside me. He's four. 

“What are you doing papa?” 
“Choosing a watch.” 
“Let me see,” he said. I looked down and his arms were stretched wide, so I scooped him up and together we peered into my watch drawer. 
“Why so many watches?” he asked. 
“Good question, son. I like them. I think they're interesting.” 
“Me too!” he smiled. I smiled too. He had the infectious enthusiasm that's the hallmark of a happy child. An all-encompassing interest that eclipses everything else at that moment. 
“Do you want to buy a watch?” I asked.
He turned around in my arms and looked directly at me.
“Yes!  Please!” 
“Let's do that tonight.” 
“Yahoo!” and, with a quick hug, he jumped down and ran to tell his mom. I smiled. Time to make a new memory.

amassed 集めている
luminescent 蛍光の
chunky ぶあつい
profusely やたらと
traipsing のろのろあるく
strapping 革ひもで結び付ける
resolved 解決した
peered じっと見つめる
infectious enthusiasm お父さんの熱意が伝わること
hallmark 顕著な特徴
all-encompassing あらゆるものを含む

eclipses 覆い隠す