2016年7月29日金曜日

2016年7月29日金曜日 -

Jason: A recipe of Jason's coffee cake

It's summertime again, and some of you might remember reading an earlier blog of mine on how I really loathe this season, but when I was growing up the one positive was going to my grandparents' house during my summer vacation from school. They lived in Connecticut, in the northeast part of the United States. The weather was usually a few degrees cooler than my home state of Virginia, but it could still get plenty hot at times.

One of the activities my grandparents enjoyed was playing cards with their friends and neighbors on Friday or Saturday nights, whenever everyone was free. I would join in, and I didn't realize it at the time, but they would usually lose on purpose, letting the kid win. After the game, my grandmother would make coffee and serve dessert, which was usually a crumb coffee cake. It was store-bought, but she could make her own when needed. I loved eating it, particularly since that specific brand wasn't sold in my area of the United States.

Flash-forward thirty years: I'm  living in Japan and unable to buy that cake, so I asked my mother to dig-up my grandmother's recipe and email it to me. Now I make it a few times a year, but always at least once during the summer to reminisce about those visits to my grandparents' house all those years ago.

Here is Grandma's Crumb Coffee Cake recipe:

4 cups flour
1 ¾ cup sugar
1 stick butter, softened
3 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs
2/3 cup whole milk

Topping
1 stick butter
½ cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 pinch of salt
powdered sugar (to dust the topping)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius)

In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Scoop out and set aside 2 cups of the mixture in a smaller bowl for the topping.

In the large bowl, add softened butter, eggs and milk and mix well.

For the topping, melt 1 stick of butter in microwave safe bowl, and add brown sugar, cinnamon, pinch of salt and the two cups of flour set aside earlier, mixing well with a wooden spoon until the crumbs become pea-sized.

Grease and flour a 13 x 9 pan, and spread the batter evenly.

Cover the entire cake with the crumb topping.

Bake for 30 minutes.

Let cool for 20-30 minutes, and dust with powdered sugar.

Enjoy!