2013年4月1日月曜日

2013年4月1日月曜日 -

William - Hiking in Fukuchiyama, Hyogo

                 Eating our packed lunch in the entrance of the tunnel.          


Spring is finally here, which means the weather is perfect for hiking. Last week my family and I went on a wonderful hike along the Fukuchiyama disused rail track in Hyogo. It’s and ideal hike for beginners and children as the terrain is flat.
The course follows a river and includes 6 long tunnels and a large iron bridge. The tunnels were so much fun. Flashlights are a must as the tunnels are pitch black. Whilst in the tunnels my daughters and I enjoyed singing “The Lollipop Song”. I think I must have started singing it as the hike and the surroundings reminded me of the movie “Stand By Me”.



The route is not an officially recognized hiking path but it popular with hikers of all ages and abilities. The route is about 7km altogether; starting at Namaze station and finishing at Takedao. At the end of the trail there is a lovely old Japanese café that was packed with hikers. My family and I stopped in for a much-deserved ice cream and I treated myself to a beer!

ideal =理想的な
disused =廃線になった
terrain =地形
flat =平坦
flashlights =懐中電灯
pitch black =真っ暗
surroundings =周りの環境
officially recognized =公認の
abilities =能力
trail =散歩道
packed with =(人などで)いっぱいで
stopped in =ちょっと立ち寄った
much-deserved =運動量にみあった
treated myself  =自分へのご褒美をあげた