2019年1月26日土曜日

2019年1月26日土曜日 -

John - January 2019


I had a wonderful New Year holiday with my wife and her family this year. As tradition dictates we went to her hometown in Ehime, Shikoku and visited her family. They had booked some private wood cabins in the mountains for a Kanreki party as two people had turned sixty. We had a marvelous dinner, the red clothes were funny and we also

had a bingo game with many small prizes, which everybody enjoyed. I always feel like a very lucky man every time I meet her family as they make me feel so welcome and they are all very kind.

We also had a great home party the next day where I tried kani shabu for the first time. I'm not a big seafood man but it was delicious. Japanese TV at New Year is also very interesting. The younger cousins loved the big music shows and it was fascinating to see what kind of music and celebrities were popular in 2018. Japanese game shows are always very entertaining. This time I saw one about which product was generic or super expensive, which was fun to play along to. At New Year I always enjoy the Downtown no Gaki no Tsukai ya Arahende!! - No Laughing Batsu Game despite not fully understanding everything that's going on.
 
Last year was quite a stressful year in many ways so I'm hoping this year is more relaxing and that I can visit more of the beautiful Japanese countryside. Last year I went to Nagano for the first time, which was fantastic so maybe I can get back there this year.

Hopefully, everyone can have a good year and enjoy themselves.



As tradition dictates:伝統が語り継がれているとおり
marvelous:素晴らしい
prizes:賞品
generic:一般的な
despite:~にもかかわらず
Hopefully:~だといいですね