2019年1月20日日曜日

2019年1月20日日曜日 -

Christmas and New Year - Jonathan

Add caption

With the end of 2018, I was surprised to see how different the holidays were spent in Japan compared to America. Firstly, Christmas is not a national holiday here and seems to be more of an occasion for younger people. When I was younger, Christmas was a special time for the family. We would spend time together and give each other gifts to show how much we appreciate each other. This usually meant my parents would spend money on my brother and me and my brother and I would get a gift together for our parents.



This Christmas I wasn't able to go home and stayed in Japan. I visited Kyoto and had a small party with friends who were also staying in Japan. We watched Christmas movies and ate lots of delicious food and sweets. New Year's Day in Japan seems to be the equivalent of this, where families come together, play games, eat delicious food and enjoy each other's company.

New Year's Eve (December 31st) in America is usually spent with friends and watching the countdown to the New Year. The custom of making a New Year's resolution is popular. This is where we try to make a major change in our lives to improve ourselves in some way, with many people promising to become healthier or watch less television.

This year I want to put more effort into learning about Japanese history and culture and speaking Japanese. I also want to go to the gym more consistently and focus on my health. Next New Year's Eve (December 31st 2019) I want to visit a shrine and follow traditional Japanese customs.

compared to:~に比べ
occasion:行事
spend money on:~にお金を使う
equivalent:同等の
custom:習慣
New Year's resolution:新年の抱負
in some way:何とかして