2015年10月31日土曜日

2015年10月31日土曜日 -

Tony: Monsters

Monsters are cool. 

I grew up with ghost stories, vampire novels, and werewolf movies forming a huge part of my childhood.  One major bonus of my now living here in Japan is that I've been able to discover and familiarize myself with Yurei and Yokai. Weird and crazy stuff, but awesome and so much fun! Don't even get me started on the topic of Kaiju. I'm forty-four years old and have a Godzilla action figure on my writing desk at home, and I'm still looking for a nice Mothra to add to my collection. 

An advantage to enjoying freaky creatures from both Western and Japanese cultures is that they generally span two seasons. Summer is the time to get the chills from scary stuff in Japan, while autumn was the season of terror that I grew up with. Twice the thrills for me! 

I just finished reading an illustrated encyclopedia of Yokai. It was educational and entertaining, but now I need to decide what to move on to. 

My backlog is intimidating: hundreds of books, dozens of movies, and dozens of games to immerse myself in and enjoy with the lights on if they're too scary in the dark. 

So, after a pretty intense dialogue with myself over what kind of fearsome experience I wanted to subject myself to next I made my choice: Zombies! Specifically an open world zombie video game which should give me at least fifty hours of bloody, undead action lasting well into September. That's sufficient because October will be here before we know it and October is all about Halloween, and Halloween is all about monster movies. 

Wait!  I forgot about Aliens! 

Damn.


werewolf:狼男
familiarize:詳しくなる
weird:奇妙な
advantage:長所
freaky creatures:ぞっとするような生き物
get the chills:肝を冷やす
encyclopedia:百科事典
backlog:蓄積
intimidating震え上がるほどすごい
immerse:どっぷり浸かる

intense:熱い