2015年10月16日金曜日

2015年10月16日金曜日 -

Hugh: Hanshin Tigers Baseball

 Well, I've lived in Japan for a while now but despite going to sumo wrestling five times as well as MMA once, I had never been to a baseball game. So, in July 2015, I finally got my act together and went to Koshien Stadium to watch the Hanshin Tigers versus the Dragons. As the day approached, the excitement was building up and finally it arrived... I headed to the stadium. 

 When I arrived at the stadium, the first thing that hit me was the sight of a dog (yes, woof woof, a dog) wearing a baseball jersey and helmet. Another thing which surprised me was that some fans had put a lot of effort into dressing for the occasion in baseball paraphernalia.

 The stadium was a little empty at the start and it was raining a bit so I thought the game might be a wash out. As time went on, though, the stadium started to fill up. The game was great, the atmosphere was electric and there was lots of chanting, clapping, shouting and music (in order to get the group into things). I got right into it, drank lots of beer, ate a little, and all in all had a great day. In the end, the Dragons beat the Hanshin Tigers convincingly but it didn't take away from my day.

 I fully intend to see some more games in the future.


   MMAMixed Martial Arts:総合格闘技
  got my act togetherdid something after a long delay:ようやく何かをした
  versusplaying against:対
  building upincreasing:増える
  hit mereally surprised me:ビックリした
  woof woofthe sound a dog makes:ワンワン!
  jerseysweater:ジャージ
  helmethat made out of a hard material to protect one's head:ヘルメット
  put a lot of effort intoworked hard to achieve something:~を一生懸命する
  dressing for the occasionwore the right clothes for the situation:その場に合った服を着る
  paraphernaliaaccessories which accompany an activity:装備
  a washout期待はずれの
  fill upbecome full:埋まる
  electricenergetic:盛り上がる
  into thingsparticipated in:~に参加する
  got right into itbecame really involved in :すっかりのめり込んだ
  convincinglyby a lot / by a long way:大差で
  didn't take away fromdetract from:~への気持ちは冷めなかった
  fully intend towill 100% do something:する気満々です