2015年7月24日金曜日

2015年7月24日金曜日 -

Martin: The Akashi Kaikyo Bridge

Hello everybody!

After working through Golden Week, I suddenly had the urge to go on a day trip somewhere in the Kansai region that I had not been to before. My wife and I both decided it was time to get outdoors, enjoy the warm, spring weather and make a trip to the seaside. We decided to go to see the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge that links Honshu (around Kobe) with Awaji Island. We took the train from Osaka through Kobe and got off near Akashi in Hyogo prefecture at Okura Beach. We walked on the sand,

collected some sea shells and even got our feet wet in the sea water.  


From Okura Beach we had a breathtaking view of the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge. I have heard that this bridge has the longest central span of any single suspension bridge in the world, measuring around 2000 meters in length and it is truly a modern, man-made wonder. The design, the cost and the actual construction of this bridge truly boggles my mind and it is a very impressive sight.

Because we enjoyed this day trip so much we have since been back to Hyogo to visit the Suma Aqua Life Park and we are now planning a short trip over the bridge to Awaji Island. 



I feel some kind of affinity with the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge because it reminds me in a way of the Harbour Bridge in Sydney where I am from.

I don't know why it has taken me such a long time to get around to discovering this part of Kansai but I am looking forward to discovering more of the area. 

day trip:日帰り旅行
got our feet wet:足をぬらしました
breathtaking view:息をのむような景色
single suspension bridge:吊橋
boggles (one's mind) :圧倒される

affinity:親近感