2018年12月21日金曜日

2018年12月21日金曜日 -

Matt :Living Abroad


Hi!
 
I am writing to you from Osaka, Japan, but I am writing in English, not Japanese. Why is that? That is because I came here recently from California, and I can't speak or write in Japanese (yet). Learning a language is only one part of moving to another country, of course, and I wanted to take a few minutes and give you a couple of my thoughts and ideas about living abroad. These thoughts are not going to be very organized, but that's perfect for a blog, right?

Moving to Japan was not my first experience leaving America to live somewhere else, so I am fortunate enough to have had a chance to learn what it is like and how it feels. I also spent a year in Mexico teaching English, and two years in the Netherlands, where I was a student. Above all, I can think of two words to describe all of these experiences: new and different. I personally like new and different experiences, so these words don't scare me. Of course, some people seem to hate these words, so can or should they live abroad? I say yes! The world is full of a wide variety of amazing places and people, and getting to know them gives you a richer life. I don't like everything where I go, and I sometimes dislike some local foods, but each time I try something new, I grow as a person. I become more tolerant of all this world possesses. Basically, I think living abroad forces you to embrace the newness that takes over your life.
I also would like to point out the huge difference between visiting another country and living in another country. When you visit a new country, you get to see and feel some of its culture, but when you live in a new country, you have the chance to become a part of its culture. This opportunity is exciting, and gives you a sense of responsibility and opportunity that a vacation cannot. So far in Japan, I have tried lots of delicious food, seen many beautiful places, and have made a few new friends. I've learned how to do basic things like pay bills, buy a bike, open a bank account, etc. I've learned how much I appreciate the patience and hospitality of the Japanese people, and I've learned to expect surprises every day. I love being in Osaka so far, and I am looking forward to a Japanese future that will shape me in large ways, and that I will shape in small ways.


Matt

organized:まとまっていない
Netherlands:オランダ
Above all:なにより
tolerant:我慢強い
possesses:有する
embrace:取り入れる
So far:ここまで
patience:忍耐
shape:形成する