2018年8月31日金曜日

2018年8月31日金曜日 -

Johnny : Ballet

Next week is my two daughters' ballet recital. I'm pleased they do ballet for a number of reasons. I think you can always tell if someone does or has done ballet by just looking at their posture. Ballet strengthens the core muscles of the body, which gives an appearance of elegance along with confidence. If you have practiced ballet, other kinds of dance will come more naturally to you.

Classical ballet tends to use classical music with which to dance to. My daughters now recognize in great detail a lot of classical music which is personally meaningful to them.

My youngest daughter Lily was painfully shy but ballet has given her a new-found confidence. Their ability to perform in front of a large auditorium of onlookers seems amazing to me. I'm sure I would crumble with stage fright.

They have performed many times now so they are rather seasoned performers. I guess they are lucky as my wife is a very accomplished flamenco dancer so she is highly critical of them and is able to coach them. My free style ballet after I've had a drink is very contemporary and amuses them no end.

Last year when we visited the UK, we were lucky enough to go to the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden to see some ballet. It was truly magical.

a number of  :いくつかの
strengthens :つよくする
tends to :~しがちである
onlookers :見物人
crumble :粉々になる
accomplished :熟達している