2017年7月14日金曜日

2017年7月14日金曜日 -

Lawry: A visit from a friend

A few days ago, I got an email from a friend of mine in Australia. I had not heard from him for many years, and I was a little surprised to hear from him. He wrote in his email “I'm coming to Osaka! See you in two days!” He had been able to get a cheap Jetstar ticket, and had made an impulse decision to come to Japan. He was going to stay two nights in Osaka city, then move on to Kyoto for three nights. This was amazing. I was looking forward to seeing him.
     I knew him very well thirty years ago, from my time living in Sydney. But I had not seen him for thirty years. A lot of things were going through my head: Had he changed? Did he still have a full head of hair? (I don't). Had he gotten fat? (I have).
     I met him at Kansai airport. We started talking about all sorts of things, how our lives had changed and what we had done over the last thirty years. We both like the outdoors, so the kinds of adventure experiences we have both had over the years were, of course, a major part of our conversation.

He hadn't decided where to go in Osaka city. So he asked me for my recommendations. This was an interesting question. Even though I have lived in Osaka for quite a few years, I have never acted as a tour advisor. I thought for a while… Then I realized how there are so many things that are worth seeing in the Osaka area. I decided on two places to recommend.

     Firstly, Ura-Namba. I live near Namba, and I felt that some of the side streets around Ura-Namba give a really unique, traditionally Japanese impression to visitors. The second place I recommended was, of course, Osaka Castle. This is a must-see for all tourists coming to the Osaka area.

     Fortunately, we also had time to get to the Shinsaibashi Dotonbori area, which is kind of fun too, though very crowded. I was just a little disappointed that the building that was used for the 'Black Rain' movie (made in the 1980's and starring Michael Douglas), had disappeared. I loved that movie so much.
     All in all, we had a great couple of days. And I think he was particularly impressed with the food in Osaka.
     I am yet to find out exactly what he did in Kyoto for his three nights there, though I suspect he visited as many of the bars he could fit into his schedule.


heard from: ~から連絡をもらう
had made an impulse decision: 衝動的に決めた
going through my head: 頭をよぎる
a full head of hair: ふさふさの髪
worth seeing: 見る価値がある
side streets: 横道
all in all: 概して
particularly: 特に

fit into: 組み込む